Just Kickin’ It

Student/Staff kickball game caps off afternoon of food, photos, laughs and togetherness

Video by David B. Campbell

David B. Campbell, Adviser

In what can only be described as the athletic event of the season, the First-Annual Student Faculty Kickball Game showcased pitching, kicking, and fielding skills in what can only be described as a vast array of varying abilities.

At times, the outing resembled a cross between the Keystone Cops and the Bad News Bears, with comedy and levity outweighing the intensity of the pressure that comes with such a marquis matchup.

The game, part of the #forgedasone engagement event, began with President David Johns rolling out the ceremonial pitch. After Johns placed it across the plate with both accuracy and delicacy, he quickly recused himself from play. He didn’t want to risk damaging his Olympic Kickball status.

“It really wouldn’t be fair to the others for me to compete,” he said, respectfully bowing out of the competition.

Johns took his place in the stands, along with other faculty/staff members, students, and members of the women’s soccer team, who cheered on their favorite players.

The game, complete with 70s-era red-rubber, gym ball, was the climactic event to the outing that began with a cookout, tours of the athletic facilities, and photo sessions with the new Faculty Athletic Mentors (FAM) and the teams and coaches with whom they are paired.

Aladdin Campus Food Services provided the complimentary grub, complete with food for the vegan, vegetarian, and omnivore.