Categories:

Moving Forward

Local action group holds monthly meeting
The Ferrum Forward Committee holds its August meeting on a crips summer evening beneath the back porch of the Blue Ridge Institute and Museum.
Grace Weaver

Ferrum Forward  opened the doors to the Blue Ridge Institute and Museum to welcome its members and guests Aug. 13. As the clock neared 6 p.m., it was soon time to commence a monthly meeting.

A soft breeze blew through the warm summer heat, creating a picturesque scene of the mountainous terrain of Virginia’s Blue Ridge.

Chair Burton White welcomed the committee, and the approval of the July minutes followed, presented by Susan Selvage with a chorus of “ayes” affirming its approval, alongside the treasurer’s report offered by Kitty Martin.

The meeting soon focused on more present and upcoming matters–community events.

The upcoming agricultural fair in Franklin County highlighted the subject of events in the area, which was last weekend. The Ferrum Forward Committee intended to be present, alongside an informational booth and a fundraising raffle for a hand-made donated quilt.

And–under the subject of events–there was more where that came from.

In fact, a series of fundraising events for the Friends of Ferrum Park appears on the calendar–a special project resting heavy in the hearts of the committee.

Ferrum’s Honorary Mayor fundraiser, in which those in the community can humorously nominate anyone and everyone for honorary mayor for the price of $20. The proceeds will go toward building a recreational addition to the Village of Ferrum. The winner will be deemed the honorary mayor of Ferrum, as well as crowned.

There will also be a performance of Larry Sigmon and the Virginia Girls on Sept. 7 at Crossroads Ruritan, a pancake breakfast on Sept. 28 at the Ferrum Fire Station, and a Haunted Trail Experience on the land of the future Friends of Ferrum Park this fall.

For White, the events are nothing more than a valuable demonstration of passion and effort.

“It is truly astounding how the committee put together so many fundraisers so fast,” he remarked.

FF member Tina Hanlon continued to announce ongoing activities in the community and on the college campus, as well as expressing thanks to the communications and efforts toward the committee from both the Village and college.

The committee hopes to appear at the upcoming club fair at the college to offer a community service project and sense of purpose to student engagement on campus, in addition to the previous booth placed at the business expo held on campus.

A current shoe donation event was also a hot topic, as well resuming Fish Fry Fridays at the college, the Jacktale Players and Orchestra Appalachia performing at the Agricultural Fair, the Ferrum Theatre Department’s performance of Nunsense tonight and this weekend, and the Blue Ridge Institute and Muesum’s Living History Program to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the American Revolution.

Business and beautification of Ferrum fell next in sequence on the agenda, and Martin expressed that there was little under the subject.

Though the locally sponsored events on campus last Friday to welcome the Panthers were canceled due to the impending weather, the committee still found optimism in the unification of the Village.

Such optimism was validated by the interest on campus to use Friends of Ferrum Parks as a community service project for students and staff.

The weeds from the farmer’s market have been pulled, with the exception of the cantaloupes growing from the remanent of the area’s compost, and there are aspirations to decorate the sign for the fall upon the passing of Labor Day.

As the meeting progressed, more specific details of the Ferrum Farmer’s Market were discussed.

“It’s been a little rough,” White sighed, speaking of the poor weather inhibiting the full potential of the market in the most recent month.

However, the market still has an average of 180-200 customers per week–and with higher numbers in correlation to the presence of a food truck, according to FF member Bob Pohlad.

FF and FOFP member Ed Saunders continued, moving on the governmental side of things, explaining the process with the Board of Supervisors to acquire the land for Friends of Ferrum Parks, and left the stage to FOFP Chair Rebecca Saunders to discuss membership and fundraising.

Recently, the committee has acquired almost $400 in funds from the farmer’s market, as income is divided evenly between the Ferrum Forward Committee and the Friends of Ferrum Parks.

Taxes have been successfully filed as well, and more than $20,000 has been raised for the future park development. A pavilion and a playground are already in the works.

New business fell last, with proposals of sponsoring a blood drive for the Crossroads Ruritan and the college, in addition to the reminder of the significance of the September meeting. The committee’s September meeting defines the quorum for the following year and opens nominations for the steering committee and the review of the annual report.

There was much discussion of upcoming proposals prior to adjournment at the time of 7:03 p.m., concluding yet another step forward for the Ferrum Forward Committee.

Donate to Iron Blade

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ferrum College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.