Categories:

Chaffin Nation

Four family members all compete as part of Ferrum athletics
From left to right: Jaycee Chaffin, junior; Wyatt Chaffin, junior; Kenzee Chaffin, junior; Gus Chaffin, sophomore; stand in the bleachers after a baseball game.
Courtesy of Jaycee Chaffin

Every family has its traditions, and the Chaffin family’s is playing sports at Ferrum. From the duo of Jaycee and Kenzee, to baseball playing cousins Gus and Wyatt.

Numbering 22 and 23, Kenzee and Jaycee Chaffin are junior members of the volleyball team who set and strike as a team within the team.

“Playing together, we always have a connection on the court, so it makes it really easy to play. And then being a setter and hitter is a lot of fun because it’s not the same position, but we help each other out,” said Kenzee, junior.

Kenzee wasn’t always a Panther. She started her college career elsewhere until a bit of sisterly persuasion brought her over to Ferrum.

“I transferred in from Concord. I transferred to play volleyball here with her because she liked the school and the program, but then I ended up loving it, too, because of the psych program here,” relayed Kenzee.

That sister who convinced Kenzee to become a Panther is Jaycee Chaffin, who picked Ferrum because of the educational opportunity and feel of campus.

“I came here because it’s pretty close to home for me, and I like the small atmosphere of the school, and they have a really good Ag Program, which is what I’m here for,” said Jaycee.

Jaycee also went on to reveal that the twin synergy isn’t always perfect, but having a tight familial bond makes everything a little more enjoyable.

“Playing volleyball together is really fun,” remarked Jaycee. “We definitely have our moments when we argue a lot on the court, but it’s pretty fun. And with my two cousins here, it’s also a really good time because we’re really close and a really close family.”

Even with volleyball being what brought the two twins to Ferrum, and a family tradition of sorts, Jaycee wasn’t always on the Panther path.

A good look at what was being offered here changed her mind.

“I’ve played since I was in fourth grade. My mom coached, so she taught me the in’s and out’s growing up,” continued Jaycee. “I wasn’t gonna come to college to play at first, but then I saw the college here, and the program, and coach Shelby Lynn, and she seemed like a good coach and a good person, so I decided to give it a try.”

Kenzee fortifies the volleyball tradition of Chaffin women with the fact that both sisters have always been around it while growing up.

“I’ve also played since fourth grade. Our mom and our older sister played in high school, so it’s always been a sort of family sport, I guess,” asserted Kenzee.

Volleyball has the twins, and Baseball has the other half of the familial quartet with sophomore Gus and junior Wyatt who are cousins to both the sisters and each other.

They agree that having cousins here on campus is a good foundation for support.

“Having a lot of family at Ferrum is fun, and it’s always cool to know you have someone at school who will do anything to help you out,” said Gus.

Gus mentioned that the feel of the school is what he enjoys about being here and the tight-knit community that is created by that atmosphere.

“I love the down-to-earthness of Ferrum,” commented Gus. ” I think it’s cool that when you see the professors. They say hello and know you by name.”

While atmosphere is what he loves, possibility is what brought the catcher into the Panther family.

“I chose Ferrum because I liked the opportunity to go to college and play baseball locally,” said Gus, who went to high school in Floyd County.

Gus also tells of how the game has been a part of him long before college, and that it holds a place in his heart while making him who he is.

“I started playing baseball when I could walk, playing in the backyard with siblings and cousins,” reminisced Gus. “I always loved the game and the lessons that came with it.”

Family has always been part of the sports life for Gus. No matter how old he is, someone is always by his side supporting his endeavors.

“I actually got to play high school ball with my brother and cousin, so that was fun,” continued Gus.

Wyatt, the Chaffin on the mound, also gets a familiar vibe from how things are here as a Panther and playing alongside members of his bloodline.

“Baseball brought me to Ferrum,” mentioned Wyatt. “I started playing when I was four, and it feels the same as high school with family here and them playing sports.”

Wyatt concludes his statement by referencing his peers as the best part of his college life.

“My favorite part about Ferrum is my friends,” finished Wyatt.