Categories:

Editorial: Check The Box

Editorial: Check The Box

Another four years have gone by, which means it’s time to prepare for the 2024 presidential election.

The two candidates running for office are Donald Trump representing the Republican Party, and Kamala Harris for the Democratic Party.

Whether it’s your first-time voting, or you’ve already voted before, it’s important to use your rights to express what candidate you feel would best represent our country.

As a collective, voters who age ranges from 18-29 years old didn’t provide much value to the presidential election until the 2016 and 2020 election.

In the 2016 election, voters 18-29 years old made up 19% of the vote.

The 2020 election between Donald Trump and Joe Biden saw an even bigger jump in young voters.

According to circle.tufts.edu, it is estimated 50% of young people between the ages of 18 and 29 voted in 2020. This was 11% higher than the 2016 election where the polls only saw 39% of young voters.

As the number of college voters rise, it’s important to do research on each candidate before going to the polls and casting your vote.

During campaign season, there are usually three debates between the elects of the two parties.

This year, there has only been one debate between the two candidates, and there is no sign of another one before the election.

Even if there is only one debate, Trump and Harris have their own campaign websites.

Their respective websites break down policy and campaigning events.

This allows voters to be able to tune in and watch each candidate speak to make an educated decision prior to voting.

But in order to vote, each person must be registered.

Voter registration already took place on campus, but if anyone missed out, there is still time to register.

Register online, by mail, or at the Franklin County Government Center, located at 1255 Franklin St, Rocky Mount, VA.

Those still looking to register have until Oct. 15 to meet the deadline for mail in or online registration.

College students must submit a voter registration application to be eligible to vote in November.

When registering, students must submit their residential addresses.

Students living in a dorm room should place the address to their dorm along with the number of the room.

The more people participate in our democracy, the stronger it becomes.

Sign up and get to the polls on Nov. 5 to have a voice in who will run the country for the next four years.