Categories:

Panthers Roar from the River Shore

Norton Outdoor Adventures Leader Aaron Conover, right, leads students in a paddling excursion down the James River.
Grace Weaver

Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream…

Several Panthers took on the James River last Sunday with Norton Outdoors’ latest adventure.

The Panthers won.

Norton Outdoor Adventures (NOA) director Aaron Conover led the trip, setting off at 9 a.m. in the morning, and he expressed only enthusiasm for the outcome that followed the departure from campus.

“It was an excellent trip, with a great group of students, great weather, beautiful scenery, and lots of wildlife,” explained Conover.

A group of five total–Conover and four students–paddled the river over the course of the day.

Senior Joey Province, a recreation leadership major, counted down the days for the event.

“I was extremely excited to get on the river,” Province said. “And going through rapids is one of the funnest things ever. Also, the James is absolutely beautiful.”

The sights were just one of many aspects that made the trip so great, according to Conover.

“The highlights would be just how everyone was really into the float–observing nature, really taking in the scenery, kind of getting a great getting a break from normal kind of routines and things.”

Conover also noted that there was no lost luggage during the paddle–everyone stayed afloat on their boats.

However, that did not stop Province from keeping a keen eye on the rest of the paddlers. After leading at a youth outdoors camp this summer, he found that old habits really do die hard.

“Being in the group is much more relaxed and fun than leading a group down the river,” he described. “But I still caught myself looking back and checking if everyone had made it through.”

His caution did not damper his fun, though.

“It’s kinda hard to pick a favorite part,” Province pondered. “Going through the rapids was definitely the most exciting, but just hanging out, floating, and looking at the animals and mountain ranges was nice. Chilling out, swimming, and having a picnic lunch was really chill.”

Those days of chill are set to continue through NOA, with a campus trail walk on Thurs. Oct. 10, and the potential for a paddle on Philpott Lake in the upcoming month as well.

With almost four years of memories and experience under his belt, Province recommended these outdoors adventures to any who find interest.

“I would tell anyone interested in these activities to try them out!” Province suggested. “You’re only young once, and even if you don’t have any experience kayaking or caving or climbing–that’s what we have instructor’s for!”