Senior Bri Bitz scored her second hat trick of the season and won ODAC Women's Soccer Player of the Week.
Senior Bri Bitz scored her second hat trick of the season and won ODAC Women’s Soccer Player of the Week.
Courtesy of the Athletic Department

Winning Takes No Breaks

Women’s Soccer extends unbeaten streak
Categories:

Fall break didn’t stop women’s soccer from adding two more wins to their record-setting total.

The team has a 10-0 record overall and a 1-0 record in the conference.

ODAC play began on Sat., Sept. 28, at EMU.

The team fell behind 1-0 for the first time this season before senior Bri Bitz scored to tie the gamer at one, heading into halftime.

During the break, Head Coach Erin Saleeby had a message for the team.

“We had a pretty fiery halftime talk and made some adjustments,” Saleeby said. “The team was pretty upset with how the first half went and definitely went out with some fire in the second half.”

The team jumped out to a quick 3-1 lead with goals scored by Bitz in minute 53 and freshman Amber Nichole Gillen (AJ) in the 59th.

Bitz extended the lead to 4-1, netting her second-hat trick of the season.

“She’s been fantastic. Seeing her healthy is amazing,” Saleeby said. “She has put in a lot of work to get where she is, and she deserves everything she has gotten. She also has really great players around her that make her better.”

Gillen ended the night with another goal, tallying her season total to five.

“She has been really, really good. The confidence that she is playing with right now is so good,” Saleeby said. “She’s tricky and smart on and off the ball. At the beginning of the season, I think that she was a bit timid just coming into the college game but quickly became herself and played her game.”

Her teammate, senior Ashlynn Mitcham won ODAC player of the week Sept. 23, and Bitz didn’t let the award leave 40 West, as she took home the honor Sept. 30.

After a four-goal second half and a win to start conference play, Saleeby was focused on who was next.

“We are still taking every game as it comes, so it’s just learn from mistakes to make yourself and your team better and look towards the next game,” she said.

During the break, women’s soccer hosted Regent in an out-of-conference match, and they picked up right where they left off at EMU.

Three first-half goals were scored by senior Jamie Adams, senior Mitcham, and senior Bitz.

“It was really good to be able to get some people in new positions and get some experience from of the younger players,” Saleeby said.

Freshman Taylor Dutko and sophomore Alondra Vera came in during the second half, and each scored their first goals of the season.

The final score against Regent was 5-0 for the team’s fifth clean sheet of the season.

The next two matches are home and in conference.

The team will take on Hollins tonight and 5:30 p.m., and Guilford Wed., Oct. 9 at 4 p.m.

Tonight’s match will also recognize all eight seniors on the team.

“It’s going to be tough since it’s fall break, but I do hope that we can continue to have a good turnout for senior day, so that we can honor the eight seniors that are leaving us,” Saleeby said.

Beginning with the Hollins match, women’s soccer will finish the regular season with nine straight conference games.

This will determine if their season ends Nov. 2 or if they will have the opportunity to compete for an ODAC championship.

“They absolutely have that mentality,” Saleeby said about the team’s confidence to beat anyone they play. “We know that we have something special, and we know that there are many tough games ahead in the remainder of the season, but also know that we are able to compete with anyone.”

Donate to Iron Blade

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ferrum College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.