Categories:

Drivin’ and Divin’ Around Georgia

Volleyball team sightsees and competes on annual trip
The Panther volleyball team stands in front of the Toccoa Falls waterfall on the campus of Toccoa Falls College.
Morgan Milligan
  • The volleyball team stands in front of Truist Park after watching the Atlanta raves play the Kansas City Royals.

'
  • The volleyball team sits and poses while watching the Braves play the Kansas City Royals.

'

Women’s Volleyball embarked on a 6-hour bus ride to Atlanta, GA over break and prepared for a round of activities and games.

This annual trip is a tradition for the team; last year, they visited Washington, D.C., explored the city, and competed against local teams. 

But this year, they went south.

After arriving in Atlanta, the team had a packed itinerary. Their first stop was at an Atlanta Braves baseball game, where they watched the Braves play against the Kansas City Royals.

For many on the team, it was their inaugural Major League experience.

“This was the first MLB game that I had ever been to. It was exciting to see the participation and the game environment,” senior Arianna Beverly said. 

The next day, the team traveled an hour and a half to Toccoa Falls, GA for their next adventure. 

They had the opportunity to visit Toccoa Falls, one of the tallest free-falling waterfalls in the eastern United States, with a drop of 186 feet, even taller than Niagara Falls. This waterfall is located on the campus of Toccoa Falls College.

“The waterfall was cool, and I have never seen something like that in person before, so it was a really great experience for me,” sophomore Emma Kelley said. 

The team also competed against the Toccoa Falls Screaming Eagles and emerged victorious with a score of 3-1. 

On the last day of the trip, the Panters visited the World of Coca-Cola, where they learned about the brand’s history, saw the soda’s secret recipe, met the famous polar bear mascot, created soda recipes, and even sampled Coca-Cola’s unreleased soda flavor. 

The team also got the chance to stop by the Coke store and pick up souvenirs and taste Coke flavors from around the world.

“My favorite part of the Coke factory was meeting the polar bear. I made sure I was the first in line and that I got my picture taken with him,” Avery Tucker, freshman, said. 

The team later traveled to Agnes Scott College to play their second and final game of the trip, which had ended in another win with a game score of 3-0.

Donate to Iron Blade

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ferrum College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.