Fall Concert to Be Held in Vaughn Chapel

Lindsey M. Foster

Lindsey M. Foster, Editor

• David Saleeba, Director of Concert Band, leads in preparation for the performance. From left: Kristina Cossa, senior; Madison Cline, junior; Ryon Johnson, junior; DJ Dungee, junior; Will Davis, sophomore; Sarah Laliberte, senior; Benjamin Vanderhyde, junior; Ashley Patrick, junior; and David Saleeba, band director. Not pictured: Megan Allen, senior; and Julio Salazar, senior.

• Emily Walker, sophomore, practices guitar to prepare for the concert.

• DJ Dungee, junior, practices songs for Concert Choir performance.

Training his vocal cords. 

Tuning his trumpet  

Thumping his upright bass.  

Ryon Johnson, junior, has been one of many students who has trained within three ensembles of the music department.

“Dedication to all three is what strives me to do better and participate in all three,” Johnson said. 

The music department ensembles will be having its annual end-of-semester fall concert in the Vaughn Chapel on Nov. 13 at 6 p.m. 

Performances will be brought by the music ensembles of the Concert Choir, Concert Band, and Orchestra Appalachia. The event will be hosted by the Humanities & Performing Arts Division. 

“Band, Concert Choir, and Orchestra Appalachia are individually difficult ensembles,” Johnson said. 

All ensembles have been practicing for this concert since the beginning of this school year. 

“I couldn’t be prouder of the students we have in the music department,” said Jennifer Ayers-Barnard, Director of Concert Choir. 

Concert Choir will perform for the first time since its first performance in Grousbeck Hall in early October.

“We’ve been working on quite a few new song selections this semester in addition to a couple of selections from previous semesters,” said Kiersten Jones, junior. “We’re all pretty excited to show how hard we’ve been working and to make Dr. Ayers proud!” 

Band students will go from a pep band playing in the stands of Adam’s Stadium during football games to performing pieces as a Concert Band.  

“We’ve been splitting our time between making sure our pep band tunes were still ‘game ready’ to support the football team, all while keeping an eye out towards the November 13th date,” said David Saleeba, Director of Concert Band. 

A new member of the Concert Band, Megan Allen, senior, will also be making her debut on the flute for the first time since high school.

“The first few weeks of playing were a little rough,” said Allen. “I eventually saw my musical talent grow with the help from the band director.”

Throughout the semester, Orchestra Appalachia has been performing all over campus. From the Franklin County Ag Fair to performances at Leo Scott Pavilion, and their recent performance on Sept. 28 in Raleigh, North Carolina at the International Bluegrass Music Association, this ensemble is making another appearance at this performance.

“I always look forward to showcasing the music department’s hard work each semester,” said Emily Walker, sophomore, member of Orchestra Appalachia. “These performances make the time and effort worth it.”

To come out and support these ensembles and the progress students made throughout the semester within the music department, attending the event would be an opportunity to do so.