Yellow Jackets Sting Panthers

Photo courtesy of Athletic Department

Junior Calvin Washington shoots a jumper against Washington and Lee.

Cody Gibson, Sports Editor

Randolph-Macon beat The Panthers with a score 85-70 on Jan 28 in Ashland, VA. The Yellow Jackets came out with a stinging three-pointer and went on a  7-0 run. The Panthers clawed their way back with eight straight points with Deshone Hicks, senior, leading the way with two three-pointers and Calvin Washington, junior, hitting a jumper to make it 8-7 with 16:05 left in the first half.

The Yellow Jackets didn’t lie down and came back with two three-pointers over their own by Keishawn Pulley and a jumper put the Yellow Jackets on top 17-12 with 13:45 left in the first. Hick’s then hit a jumper that capped an 8-2 run to retake the lead 20-19.

A three-pointer by Jabril Robinson led Randolph-Macon to a 10-2 run as they took a 29-22 lead with six minutes left in the first. Josh Talbert and Miles Mallory hit two jumpers each in a 10-0 run to close the first half, giving them a 46-30 lead at the half. Randolph-Macon increased its lead to 50-30, to give them a comfortable lead for the rest of the game.

The Panthers cut the deficit to 13 with three minutes remaining after Alfredo Abel-Rivera, freshman, made both of his free throws, to make him one of three Panthers to score 20-plus points that night.

The Panther’s next game is at Lynchburg on Feb. 8, as they take on The Hornets of Lynchburg College.