Royals Take Two in ODAC Softball

Taylor Huck

The Panther softball team celebrates senior day.

Cody Gibson, Sports Editor

Panther softball dropped a pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) games Sat. Apr. 15 at home to Eastern Mennonite University, falling 5-2 in the opener and 5-1 in the nightcap at Vickie Van Kleeck Softball Complex.

In game one, Samantha Hensley, Grave Fravel, and Autumn Bailey each homered for Eastern Mennonite. The Panthers got its two runs in the bottom of the sixth inning off Macie Bell‘s, freshman, RBI double to left center and Macey Moore’s, sophomore, RBI single to left. Natalye Graham was in full command in the circle for the Royals, striking out 12 Panther batters.

Key stats from game one: EMU: Hensley 2-4, HR, run, 2 RBI; SP Natalye Graham (W, 5-8) 7 inn, 6 hits, 2 ER, 2 BB, 12 K
Ferrum: Breanna Weaver, junior, 2-3; SP Erin Nelson, senior, (L, 1-7) 3 inn, 5 hits, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K

In-game two, Eastern Mennonite scored a run each in the first and four innings. The Panthers got a run back in the fourth on Abby Mcguire, freshman, RBI single to left field. The Royals added three runs in the seventh inning for the final count.

Key stats from game two EMU: Reese Rogers 3-4, double, 2 runs, RBI; SP Grace Fravel (W, 3-5) 5 inn, 5 hits, 1 ER, 4 BB, 1 K
Ferrum: McGuire 2-3, RBI; SP Emily Walker, sophomore, (L, 0-1) 5 inn, 4 hits, 1 ER0 BB, 1 K

The Panthers are scheduled to play next tomorrow, Apr. 19, at home against Roanoke College. The conference doubleheader is set for a 5:00 p.m. start.