Kerosene Willy Brings Students to Harvester Performance

• Kerosene Willy performs at the Harvester Performance Center.

• Hunter Hooper, sophomore, looks over the soundboard before the show begins.

• Kenaz Moon, junior, helps set up sound for instruments on stage.

Lindsey M. Foster, Editor

The Harvester Performance Center in Rocky Mount, VA held a concert with the band Kerosene Willy on April 14. This event came together with the collaboration of the band, the Stage Audio Course at the college, and the Harvester’s staff.

“It was a great time all the way around. I thought the students did a fantastic job with everything,” said Dave Campbell, Kerosene Willy band member, and journalism professor. “As a musician, I didn’t notice anything different than any other time we’ve played there–which speaks volumes for the job they did.”

This event was free to all students, faculty, and staff of the college.

“Really good jam music and great originals,” said Paul Crosby, senior and event attendee. “I just wish more people showed up for the free concert.”

Students in the college’s Stage Audio course also had a first-hand experience while helping out with this event.

“From my perspective, the performance gave this group of students the most robust hands-on learning opportunity out of all the semesters I have offered this course,” said Karl Roeper, Associate Professor of Media & Communication. “It looks like we are forging an ongoing partnership with the Harvester Performance Center, which should be good for Ferrum College, the Harvester, and the town of Rocky Mount.”

Stage Audio students helped set up the speakers and instrument sound for the band before the show and looked over the soundboard during the show.

“I think all around it was a great learning experience and working with Chopper, Dr. Roeper, and the awesome staff at the Harvester,” said Hunter Hooper, sophomore and student in Stage Audio.

The music department also helped with this event by helping out with guiding audience members to their seats and putting on wristbands for attendees who are over 21 to purchase alcohol.

“It’s something that I have been wanting to do for a while. When I mentioned the idea to Jill Murphy, Assistant Manager of the Harvester, she thought it was a great idea,” said Jennifer Ayers-Barnard, Program Coordinator of Music. “We’ll definitely volunteer again, and this time, I hope to have more volunteers from the music department!”