Award-Winning
  • The Award-Winning Iron Blade--First-Place National Award for College Newspapers--The American Scholastic Press Association
64°
The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

Production of ‘Steel Magnolias’ Set to Begin Aug. 24 and Run Through Aug. 27

Rex Stephenson will be directing the inaugural theatre event
Bob Pohlad
From left, Truvy (played by Theatre Arts Professdor, Rebecca Crocker), styles Shelby’s (played by TJ Baker, senior) hair, while Clairee (English Professor Lana Whited) looks on.

The Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre and Ferrum College Theatre Arts season will open with Steel Magnolias, by Robert Harling, on Aug. 24. The comedy-drama is based on a real family’s experiences with diabetes and kidney failure.

Steel Magnolias has been performed all over the United States, England, Australia, and Canada, however, most folks remember the 1989 movie featuring Dolly Parton, Julia Roberts, and Sally Fields.

The dinner theatre cast features veteran performers Emily Blankenship-Tucker, Rebecca Crocker, Kristina Stump and Lana Whited. Newcomer Heather Jefferson will enact the  role of Annelle, and TJ Baker, senior, will perform Shelby.

The performance opens Aug. 24, with a luncheon at 12:15 p.m. and curtain at 2 p.m. Additional show dates are Sat., Aug. 26, with dinner beginning at 6:15 p.m. and curtain at 8 p.m., and the final performance on Sun., Aug. 27, with a luncheon beginning at 12:15 p.m. and the play starting at 2 p.m..

Crew for the show includes Performing Arts Professor Rachel Blankenship-Tucker as production stage manager, Susan Blankenship as her assistant, Debra Smith as technical advisor, and Sara Bier and Theatre Arts students as backstage crew. Rex Stephenson will direct.

“I’m delighted to be part of this production and the long-awaited return of the Blue Ridge Dinner Theatre to the Ferrum College campus. I’m also honored to be working once again with Rex Stephenson and everyone on the cast and crew,” said Blankenship-Tucker.

Call (540) 365-4336 or visit www.ferrum.edu/play-tickets for tickets and information.