Freshman take part in Day of Service projects Sunday.
Bob Pohlad

Incoming Freshman Participate in Day of Service Projects to Finish Off Connections Weekend

Ferrum College’s newest Panthers participated in a Day of Service event Sunday.

The newest Panthers were in partnership with Ferrum Forward to conclude Connections Weekend.

In groups with their Connections leaders, freshman packed meals for the Panther Packs program, hosted a free car wash for community members, built and planted a memory garden, cleaned up the community center at Saint James United Methodist Church and conducted maintenance projects at Phoebe Needles.

“The group of fine young Ferrum College students who came to Phoebe Needles on Sunday were a real pleasure to work with,” Inge Terrill, executive director said.  “We look forward to more interactions in the future and any other opportunities that we can create together.  The sky’s the limit.”

Mirta Martin, interim president, said she is thankful for the Ferrum community and its support of the college and students.

“Our motto is ‘Not self, but others’, Martin said.  “It is essential for our new students to begin their journey at Ferrum College living out this motto and connecting to the community.”

An ice cream and popcorn social followed the Day of Service festivities.