Award-Winning
  • The Award-Winning Iron Blade--First-Place National Award for College Newspapers--The American Scholastic Press Association
71°
The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

Disc Golf Tournament Brings Scores of Golfers

The college’s first-ever tournament was held on the newly renovated course
  • Recreation Leadership Professor Dan Caston, foreground, address the golfers prior to the start of the tournament.

• Scores of discs adorn the registration tables, waiting for would-be golfers.

• Players check in and sort through discs prior to the tournament beginning.

• Professor Emeritus David Johnson tosses a putter toward the chains.

• From left, Seijin Campbell, David Johnson, Allison Harl, Tim Pohlad-Thomas, and Eli Harl display their winnings.

On Sat., Aug 12, the college hosted a disc golf tournament in partnership with Blade Gaming on the college’s newly renovated course.

Professionals and amateurs from all over the state came out to compete at the event. Ferrum College faculty Dan Caston, Allison Hall, David Saleeba and Faculty Emeritus Bob Pohlad also participated in the tournament. Each player went around the course twice.

The course was sought out because of the varied topography and different types of trees that are part of the course environment. The college’s course has also been featured as an attraction as a part of Virginia’s Blue Ridge.

Jerry Duncan served as tournament director for this event. 

“I set up the registration page and tournament guidelines to make sure everyone is grouped in the appropriate division. This was a Professional Disc Golf Association sanctioned event, so I also made sure that everyone followed those rules as well,” said Duncan.

Duncan also advised the Recreation Leadership Program Director Dan Caston on renovating the course and later evaluated the course prior to the tournament to make sure it was up to playing standards. 

“Dan Caston took our advice and what we thought was the new standard of what a course should be. Something unique was that he kept the same layout, and I think that’s awesome. Twenty years from now, a course that was built in 2008 is going to be a great legacy course, and people will be able to look back and see the growth of the sport,” Duncan continued.

Duncan explains that disc golf is a sport that anyone can play whether they are 6 or 96. It’s also very affordable. 

“It’s a great sport for whoever wants to get involved. You can play at any level and still have fun. You can get three discs for about $40. The types are a putter, a driver, and a mid-range. Everyone learns how to throw the different discs by their comfort level, ” he concluded.

Tim Pohlad-Thomas, who was a Panther graduate of class ‘08, has been a part of it for 15 years now.

“This tournament held a special place in my heart because I was one of the original students, along with Corey May, who in 2008 were able to convince Ferrum College to invest money in the creation of an official course on the Ferrum College,” said Thomas. 

Tournaments can be different every year and with this one going on 15 years means something to the Panthers.

This weekend’s Iron Blade Disc Golf Tournament was a great way to bring attention to the 15 year old Disc Golf Course on the Ferrum Campus. The event was very well organized and incredibly well attended by people not only from the local community but from across Virginia and from many other states,” Thomas said.

Places people finished:

In the Mixed Pro Open, Jake Clem finished in first palce with score of 111 with 23 under par.

In the Mixed Pro 40+, Greg Clemons finished in first place with a score of 113 with 21 under par.

In the Mixed Amatuer 1, Greg Moench finished in first place with a score of 116 with 18 under par.

In the Mixed Amatuer 40+, James Lawson finished in first place with a score of 138 with four over par.

In the Mixed Amatuer 50+, Carles Helmandollar finished in first place with a score of 121 with 13 under par.

In the Mixed Amatuer 2, Brandt W Jamison finished in first place with a score of 121 with 13 under par.

In the Mixed Amatuer 3, Ben Riddle finished in first place with a score of 130 with four under par.

In the Women’s Amatuer 3, Allison Harl finished in first place with a score of 164 with 30 over par

In the Mixed Amatuer 4 ,Tim Pohland-Thomas finished in first place with a score of 130 with four under par.

In the Mixed Junior <18, Avery Smile finished in first place with a score of 133 with one under par.

In the Mixed Junior <15, Eli Harl finished in first place with a score of 155 with 21 over par.