Franklin County Agricultural Fair Host Jack Tales Players and Orchestra Appalachia

From left, Rachel Blankenship-Tucker; Professor Emily Blankenship-Tucker; and Rex Stephenson, professor emeritus; perform a Jack Tales story at the Ag Fair.
Photo courtesy of Marketing Department

An ensemble of Ferrum students and community members performed at the Franklin County Agricultural Fair from Aug. 14- Aug. 20 as part of both the Jack Tales and the Orchestra Appalachia.

The college students who participated in Jack Tales were TJ Baker, junior; Django Burgess, freshmanp; and Gage Shelton, juniorr; along with Performing Arts professors Rex Stephenson, Rebecca Crocker, Rachel and Emily Blankenship-Tucker, and Silas Blankenship-Tucker.

For Shelton, this was not his first time performing with Jack Tales, but this was his first time performing at the Ag. Fair, and he was happy to play in front of elementary students who attended.

“It was a ton of fun. The kids always have a blast… It’s always fun to check in with our boy Jack and see what he’s doing.” Shelton said.

Orchestra Appalachia also performed from 4 p.m.-5 p.m. on Saturday at the fair on the main stage.

“I’ve been performing since I was young. I always look forward to performing in front of people, especially local shows. I think there’s something special about sharing what we do here at Ferrum, not only sharing across the region but right here at home as well,” Emily Walker, a returning performer and college junior said.

Walker was excited about the performance and said she was thrilled to perform with the new members.

“I always love performing with new folks! It’s awesome seeing what everyone is able to bring to the table,” Walker said.

For Orchestra Appalachia, this fair kicked off its fall touring season. Following the Fair, the group will head to Bristol TN/VA for the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Reunion Sept. 8-10 and Raleigh, NC for the IBMA World of Bluegrass Festival Sept. 26-30.

In addition to the tours, the group will also join the college’s newest ensemble, Bluegrass Brass, for a new field show in the upcoming football season.

“Orchestra Appalachia is now teaming up with the Bluegrass Brass for the field show, so I am looking forward to sharing this really cool product we’ve got going. I am most excited about the Bristol Rhythm and Roots Festival this September. Some major groups and players are going to be there, so to have Orchestra Appalachia there, too is really cool,” Walker explained.