Alumni Dylan Irby Becomes Environmental Scientist After Graduating

Alumni Dylan Irby

Dylan Irby, Class of ’23 graduate, is now an environmental scientist at Dewberry a specialized firm in Danville, VA where he works to manage and resolve environmental and sustainability challenges.

Irby always wanted an outdoor job, and his studies of environmental science helped him look to the future and see several different career paths prior to his graduation.

“Because environmental science is a broad subject, it opened up many to careers and other environmental opportunities,” said Irby.

It wasn’t until after commencing in research and taking into account the opinions and recommendations of his peers that Irby decided to take a position with Dewberry.

“This position allowed me to be inside and outside in the field working, which is exactly what I wanted,” Irby stated.

Irby toured other colleges and universities before making his decision to spend his college years at Ferrum. He decided that he wanted a smaller environment and after touring the campus he picked Ferrum.

“The smaller class sizes and campus at Ferrum are how I knew this is where I wanted to be,” Irby remarked.

While he was still a student at Ferrum Irby was involved on campus going to baseball games, playing cornhole, and tailgating at homecoming.

“I met some of my now life-long friends while attending Ferrum College,” said Irby.

Participating inĀ  the Smith Mountain Lake Water Quality Monitoring with Dr.Ghioca is another memory from Irby’s time here. He extended his gratitude towards Ghioca, Heck, and Fredericksen for there support within their classes.

“They were always there to help me understand coursework or answer any questions I had about future job fields I was interested in pursuing,” stated Irby.

Todd Fredericksen, associate professor of forestry and wildlife, said that Irby was a student who was ready and excited about learning new things.

“Dylan was a student in many of my classes. He was always an enthusiastic and engaged student. Regardless of the course, he excelled in them all,” Fredericksen commented.

The advise Irby gives to students is that they should get to know their professors and cherish the time spent here while, as it will be over before you know it.

“The years will fly by just as mine did,” said Irby.

Irby also said that for anyone wanting to go into environmental science, the field’s broad content range can lead to many career paths.

“Current and prospective students: Continuously be focused and attend classes as much as possible,” Irby finished.