Black Hats Look for First Win in Home Opener

Seth Deaton kicks one of his two field goal attempts in the Week 1 loss at Muskingum.
Photo courtesy of the Athletic Department

The Black Hats return home against North Carolina Wesleyan at 4 p.m., tomorrow, after a Week 1 loss to Muskingum University 31-20.

“I feel like a win at home is critically important,” Head Coach Cleive Adams said.  “We’ve put in a lot of work dating back to last spring, and a win this weekend would propel us in a direction we’re expecting around here.”

The last time Ferrum took the field against N.C. Wesleyan was in 2017.

Ferrum won 17-7.

“I am very familiar with N.C. Wesleyan,” Adams said.  “They are going to be extremely athletic, hard-nosed and tough.  The way I have found success against N.C. Wesleyan is to do our job and execute at a high level.”

But this week, Ferrum is looking for its first home win in more than a year.

“A home win would mean everything for us,” junior offensive lineman Christian Sorrells said.  “One of our main goals is to protect our home turf, so it would be a huge step for us.”

The Black Hats head coach is a seasoned vet, with 25 years of DIII coaching under his belt.

Adams has a message he believes to be true for his football team.

“Improvements from week one to week two really determine your success moving forward,” Adams said.  “As a coaching staff and team, we focused on the fundamentals of what we do and who we are.”

The Panthers will have the chance to act on their coach’s message this tomorrow.

“I feel like our team has taken a massive step from last year.  The difference was how we kept fighting through the highs and lows of the game last week,” Sorrells said.  “I have a ton of confidence in this team moving forward.”

Tailgating will start at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Bassett Field, with a Black Hat Walk at Tailgate Alley at 2 p.m.

“Bring the energy and pack the house,” Sorrells said.  “A win for us is a win for everyone on this campus.”

The Panthers home opener has a blackout theme.

Student section seats will open at 3:15 p.m.

The first 100 students receive free pom-pons, black hats and thundersticks.