Cornhole for a Cause

Class hopes to raise awareness for ALS
Communication Instructor Laura Kellys Strategies for PR and Media class designed the above flier for the cornhole event to raise ALS awareness.
Communication Instructor Laura Kelly’s Strategies for PR and Media class designed the above flier for the cornhole event to raise ALS awareness.
Flyer Courtesy of Noah Smiley

On Thurs., Nov. 9 at noon, Communication Instructor Laura Kelly and her Strategies for PR and Media class will be hosting Cornhole for a Cause to help raise awareness for ALS, otherwise known as Lou Gherig’s disease.

The purpose of the tournament, which will vbe held on the Quad, is to raise awareness for ALS. The class decided on cornhole due to its popularity on campus.

“The main reason we wanted to do the cornhole tournament specifically was everyone on campus for the most part loves it or has at least played it before, so we figured it’s the best way to spread awareness on ALS to the most people possible,” Cade White, sophomore, said.

Kelly saw this as an opportunity for her class to build real-world application of a PR skillset and add to their resume for when they are applying for work.

“In my industry career, planning, promoting and executing events has been a huge part of a successful PR professional. Actually working on a project like this for the ALS Association gives the students an opportunity to not only practice the skills, but show that they produced a campaign and event for an actual organization when they go out on their first job interviews,” Kelly said.

Alongside the cornhole tournament, there will be an opportunity to share stories or support for those who have felt the effects of ALS in some way.

“Were going to have a big sheet of construction paper or something like it, so if you have family members or loved ones who have been affected by ALS feel free to write something about it or just get your story out there,” Noah Smiley, sophomore, said.

This event is expected to run for approximately an hour.