Music Department Plans England Trip

Music Department Plans England Trip

“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”–Dr. Seuss

Dr. Seuss couldn’t have said it better, because the music department is looking for students to register for MUS 111 Concert Choir for Spring 2024 and travel to England this coming summer!

The trip includes visiting many sites in London, Oxford, Winchester, and Eastbourne, including the Harry Potter studios, Stonehenge, castles, theatre, beaches, and much more. Students are allowed to register for this trip as an educational experience through international travel.

“This is a joint effort between (English Professor) Lana (Whited’s) English class and my choir where she will be teaching the first session of Summer ’24 but, I will not,” Ayers-Barnard explained. “She was originally going to teach a Harry Potter course, but I think she wants to enhance the curriculum a bit for the class, and her summer course will have the usual college tuition fee.”

Along with the choir performing in London, Oxford, and at a high school in Eastbourne, there will be sightseeing and touring the cities of London, Oxford, Winchester, Salisbury, Eastbourne, and Brighton Beach.  The activities will include visiting Harry Potter Studios, a West End theatre performance, a musical in London, Oxford University, Stonehenge, cathedrals, Medieval castles, and a day at the beach. International students who want to wonder and discover some more of the world are more than welcome to apply.

“Yes, international students are absolutely allowed to apply for financial aid and travel with us as long as their visas allow them to travel to other countries,” Barnard said.

The tour dates are May 27-June 3. Students can register for a fee of $99.00 and then apply for financial assistance for the remaining cost of the trip at: WorldStrides Educational Travel & Experiences. For people interested in going on the tour, there are steps to take.

Step 1:

Go to www.worldstrides.com/register

Enter the Trip ID:  Ferrum-8600

Already have a Passport? Enter it at this time with general information, so have that ready when registering.

Step 2:

Apply for FINANCIAL AID to pay for this trip!  There are many options for individual travel funding, including the Gift of Performance program. Additionally, nearly $2 million is given each year in financial assistance for persons 22 and younger. To get a quote call 1-800-468-5899.

When the online application for financial aid is completed, studetns will need to provide an unofficial copy of a transcript (which students can access on the college website under their respective accounts.)

“If I am your academic advisor, I can get access to them and send you the PDF doc,” Bernard emphasized. “Also they will ask for a letter of recommendation. Message me, and I will write one for you and send it to you to submit.”

Step 3:

Apply for or renew US Passport (if you not done so already)

Apply for Passport (first time)

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel.html

Renew Passport

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/renew.html

If applying in Rocky Mount:

rockymountva.org/211/Passport-Services#:~:text=The%20Rocky%20Mount%20Municipal%20Building,calling%20540-483-7660

Please contact Jennifer Ayers-Barnard Assistant Professor of Music Department of Music, Program Coordinator at [email protected] for more information!

“We would love to have you join us on this trip of a lifetime,” Barnard concluded.