Softball Drops Two Opening Weekend

Wynema Thomas, sophomore, starting pitcher in game one against #8 Christopher Newport, pitched five innings and had three strikeouts.
Courtesy of the Athletic Department

Softball traveled to #8 Christopher Newport University last weekend, losing both games of their Saturday double-header 6-0 and 7-1.

Game one starter Wynema Thomas, sophomore, went five innings, allowing four earned runs on eight hits with three strikeouts.

Games two starter Kylie Atkins, senior, went three innings, allowing two earned runs on six hits and three strikeouts.

Senior Emily Walker, senior, threw in relief both games.

In game one, Walker threw one inning, allowing one unearned run on one hit.  For game two, Walker had three innings of work, allowing one earned run on five hits.

“They all competed, threw strikes and attacked traditionally a top ranked offense that CNU always has,” Head Coach Joshua Freeman said, regarding the three Panthers who pitched this weekend.

The Ferrum bats were kept silent Saturday with no runs on four hits in game one, and one run on three hits in game two.

“They have two pitchers with a lot of experience that have won national championships,” Freeman said. “The offense battled and competed. We got on base, just need to knock them in.”

After Freeman’s first weekend as head coach with the team, he said overall, a lot went well for facing a top ranked CNU.

“We threw strikes and we had competitive at bats,” Freeman said. “Clean up some things defensively in both games, we were right there in both games.”

Errors on the Panthers’ defensive end is what helped the Captains expand leads in both ball games.

With three errors in game one, and five in game two, these runs accounted for a total of six unearned runs out of the 13 CNU scored in two games.

Freeman said a little bit of everything was involved when speaking about whether the girls were shaking off some nerves or if there was some things they could’ve done better.

The Lady Panthers have an opportunity to get into the win column this Sunday as they travel to Methodist University in Fayetteville, NC to play a double-header.

After a couple loses, Freeman has a message for the team going into week two’s weekend double-header.

“Keep the energy high, and each game is another opportunity,” Freeman said.

Freeman said the team is definitely going in the right direction.