When Life Gives You Discs–Throw Them Right Back

Disc golf team prepares for upcoming tournament
Cullen Nash-Cleek, senior, tees off with a fore-hand throw on the colleges disc golf course.
Cullen Nash-Cleek, senior, tees off with a fore-hand throw on the college’s disc golf course.
Courtesy of Dan Caston
The disc golf team from left is Jacob “JV” Vanremortal, senior; Alex Reed, senior; Joey Province, senior; Brody Johnson, senior; Cullen Nash-Cleek, senior; Madison Cruz, junior; Nathan Peach, senior. Courtesy of Dan Caston

Anticipation is rising for the college’s disc golfers and the Spring Opener

In partnership with Blade Gaming, Ferrum Disc Golf is set to hold a tournament on Sat. March 16, on campus. This is the second tournament to be held on campus since the recent renovations, and team members say they are pumped.

Madison Cruz, junior, has only the highest hopes for the upcoming event.

“I am super excited,” Cruz offers, “I feel like it is going to be super fun. I didn’t get to play in the last tournament, so I am excited to see how it goes. They’re adding new holes around campus, too, and I can’t wait to play those.”

Dan Caston, coach, agrees.

“Yeah,” he says, “I think it’s just going to be a really good event.”

The tournament is separated into categories, such as a collegiate section and age brackets, and it is open to the public. Awards will be distributed in accordance with competitive category.

The Spring Opener will also be a two-round event, with the first tee-off at 9 a.m. and the second round commencing around lunchtime. The winner will be determined by the average of the two scores, according to Caston, and there will also be the addition of other sport-skill-related activities.

“We will have a ring of fire,” he describes. “We will stand around the putting ring and take shots, with each person who scores getting a prize until no prize remains.”

There will also be a “Pin Category,” which tests the players’ abilities to ace.

And, for the winners of each challenge, rewards do not end at personal glory, Caston explains.

“Blade Gaming is sponsoring so many prizes,” he said.

As the date of the opener approaches, the team is preparing accordingly. Joey Province, junior, explains the scene of their recent practices.

“We are just trying to get really familiar with the course,” he asserts. “We’re getting comfortable being able to play two rounds–it’s been physically and mentally demanding to double the normal game length. Fortunately, our course is relatively short, so it is very approachable to do just that.”

Local businesses are also getting in on the act.

“Franklin Memorial Hospital is also sponsoring us,” Caston comments. “They have been promoting the event and have helped us get nice t-shirts and things like that. All in all, it’s going to be a great event.”

The team expresses only the best aspirations for the opener–an event for all to enjoy, they say.

To register, more information regarding the competition, fees, and other event associated events can be found online. Registration closes at 8 p.m. on March 15, the night before the tournament.