Macbeth Plays to Sold-Out, Packed Houses

Ferrum Theatre Arts Took The Stage Last Weekend
From left, Django Burgess, freshman, and TJ Baker, senior, perform the roles of Lady Macbeth and Macbeth, respectively.
Bob Pohlad
The Theatre Department presented four performances of Macbeth.
  • The eyes have it–Django Burgess, freshman, not only played Lady Macbeth, but also a witch.

• Robyn Abshire-Simms, left, and English Professor Lana Whited played witches in Macbeth.

• Gage Shelton, junior, played the role of Macduff in the production of Macbeth.

Macbeth took center stage on campus over the weekend, hosted by the Theatre Production Department.

The show debuted in a students-only performance on Thurs., Feb. 22, and continued with shows across the weekend.

It was quite the hit, too, with tickets having read “sold out” all three days of the event. Rebecca Crocker, director, could not have been more thrilled Saturday night.

“We sold out yesterday, and we sold out tonight (Saturday), and it’s looking like we’re sold out tomorrow, too,” she said excitedly, “There’s been a couple of times where we’ve been able to fit a couple folks in last minute, and it’s been really nice to have it really packed. It’s crowded in here!”

Crocker was not only pleased with the turnout of the audience, but the performances as well.

“I am very happy,” she explained. “They’re doing a great job. It’s been really neat to see the actors perform and do it so well.”

The audience agreed. Seijin Campbell, a local student from Franklin County High School, spoke on the matter during the intermission of the performance.

“Well,” he explained, “this is my first time seeing a Shakespeare performance, and it’s really, really enjoyable. I mean, I’ve read Romeo and Juliet in a high school class, but it’s a completely different experience–and we are not even at the climax of the story yet! I am excited to see how everything turns out.” 

Each night brought its own experience, too, per the nature of performing, according to Crocker.

“It’s now Saturday, and they’ve had a couple performances, and it’s always different. I think they are kinda playing and enjoying it now,” she said.

The production was not only an enjoyable experience for the cast and crew, however. Panther alumni, Tim Pohlad, ’08, described his position in the audience.

“It felt like you were right in the middle of it,” Pohlad exclaimed–referring to the fact that actors presented in a 360-degree-arena throughout the audience the performance. “You got to really enjoy it. It was awesome.”

All in all, the show’s the director, actors, and theatre-goers proclaimed the production a success.

The Theatre Department will now begin working on the next production, Joeseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat, set to take the stage in April.