A Little Deeper Than Just Discs

The Spring Opener Disc Golf Tournament will also showcase Panther Strong
Cullen Nash-Cleek, senior, prepares to tee off using a forehand throw.
Dan Caston

This weekend, on March 16, the college will host an event called Panther Strong alongside the disc golf tournament on campus.

From 9 a.m.-1 p.m. on Saturday, there will be a Spartan DEKA Strong Competition, a Panther Strong Powerlifting Contest, Yoga on the Quad, and youth fishing on Adams Lake.

Johanna Ferguson, professor and organizer of Panther Strong, explained the event.

“We’re bringing in three different fitness-based competitive events, so we decided to name it Panther Strong,” Ferguson said.

The event is brought by a series of sponsors and organizations, such as Spartan and Ferguson’s own personal business, Ferguson Fitness in Roanoke.

“My business is sponsoring a DECA Strong competition, where there are timed exercise zones with medals, shirts, and other prizes, Ferguson offered. “It’s also sponsored by Spartan. It will be similar to a traditional Spartan obstacle course but with all three events hosted on campus in the same day.”

Ferguson expressed great expectation for the turnout of the event.

“I know I am coming and bringing several people with me,” she asserted. “And we are hoping others will do the same. The last disc golf tournament had about 25 athletes, and the goal is to at least double it with our additional competitions. We have more than enough room for our athletes and spectators, too!”

Proceeds from the event will go toward the Health and Human Performance Program’s Club here and donated to local charities. However, Ferguson stated that the event is for more than just the money.

“I am excited for students to enjoy this competitive type of events that are lifelong,” Ferguson explained. “You know your sport, and now you know these activities that can continue your active activities lifespan for years to come, even after your sport is over.”

The organizers of the event also hope to bring in the community, offer a fun-filled event for all ages, provide a worthwhile experience on campus, and bring out the true strength of the Panther Nation, according to Ferguson.

Following the event will be an ODAC doubleheader baseball game at 2 p.m., and there will be food and other activities for students and families alike throughout the day.

All in all, the day is expected to be a big one, and is open for all to enjoy. More information can be found online on the Ferrum calendar.