Baseball Drops Two Double Headers

Senior, Juan Garcia, takes an at-bat for the Panthers against Bridgewater College.
    Dajah Berger

Sun., March 24, the Panthers faced Eastern Mennonite University at home for a double header.

Ferrum dropped both games, with the score of the first being 12-8, and the score of the second was 17-6.

In the first game, Eastern Mennonite scored a run in the second and third innings to grab the lead early.

Ferrum scored a run in the bottom of the third inning on Russell Golembe’s, sophomore, homer to left field, trimming the lead to 2-1.

EMU picked up three runs in the fourth inning, making the score 5-1 with EMU in front.

Clayton Michael’s, senior, RBI single through the left side of the field in the bottom of the fourth made  the score 5-2.

Ferrum then picked up four in the sixth inning, leading with a score of 6-5. Both teams then scored a run in the seventh inning with Ferrum in the lead with 7-6.

The Royals erupted for four in the eighth inning to go back in front 10-7. Noah Basham, graduate student, scored a single in the eighth inning, closing the gap 10-8.

EMU then scored two in the top of the ninth inning, holding onto the lead with in ending score of 12-8.

In the second game of the double header, EMU scored a run in the first inning on a sac fly.

EMU echoed with adding a run in the third, making the score 2-0. They then added seven in the fourth inning and five in the sixth.

The Panthers picked up three runs in the bottom of the fourth inning, including two on Golembe’s RBI double down the right field line.

Ferrum also added one on Tyler Mason’s, freshman, RBI single down the right field line, making it 9-3.

Ferrum picked up two runs in the sixth inning, one on a dropped third strike and the other on a wild pitch, to make it a 14-5.

Each team scored a run in the eighth inning and the score was 15-6 with the Royals leading.

EMU added two  runs in the ninth inning to close out with the final score of 17-6, Royals.

The Panthers then played Bridgewater, Sat., March 30.

The score was knotted until the third inning, when Bridgewater scored a run and two in the fourth to take a 3-0 lead, Bridgewater.

Ferrum echoed back in the top of the seventh inning with a run on Davis Yeaman’s, senior, RBI double to left field, allowing Jaden Johnson, senior, to cross the plate and avoid the shutout 9-1.

Following for the second half of the double header, the Panthers scored a run in the top of the first inning.

Bridgewater exploded with 13 in the front half of the game. Ferrum picked up a run in the third inning and three in the fifth inning, but still trailed 15-5.

Kristian Barcroft, sophomore, hit a two-run homer to right field in the top of the sixth inning, making it 19-7.

Ferrum picked up two more on Bryce Thacker’s, senior, RBI double in the ninth inning bu came up short 23-9.