Day of Service

Students, faculty, and staff give back
Michael Hamm, junior, Jamaari Blackburn, freshman, and Joe Bissue, senior, mulch inside the campus center with their track and field teammates.
Michael Hamm, junior, Jamaari Blackburn, freshman, and Joe Bissue, senior, mulch inside the campus’ center with their track and field teammates.
Grace Weaver
  • Austin Brigman, freshman, and Jairo Herbas, freshman, work with the rest of the tennis team to paint the stairways and walls behind John Wesley Hall.

• Madison Cruz spends the Day of Service painting between Stanley Library and Garber Hall.

• Ferrum Baseball beautifies campus landscaping, focusing on the floral presentation in front of Beckham Hall.

• Freshman Sayda Rojas-Campbell, left, and Haley Woodward, junior, paint railings on the Hart International Plaza.

• Mackenzie Ellinger, sophomore, and Jaycee Chaffin, sophomore, organize the shelves in the library.

• Michael Hamm, junior, Jamaari Blackburn, freshman, and Joe Bissue, senior, mulch inside the campus’ center with their track and field teammates.

In keeping with the college’s motto of “Not Self, But Others”, students, faculty, and staff participated in the bi-annual Day of Service April 4.

A myriad of projects took place across campus–from painting railings to mulching gardens to organizing library shelves.

The weather was not as cooperative as in past endeavors, but the chill and wind didn’t seem to dampen the spirits of those participating.

“I’m definitely glad we’re inside this time, but it’s always a fun little project on campus,” said Mackenzie Ellinger, sophomore.

Many who participated said they felt good about being able to contribute to something around campus and help give the college a facelift.

“It’s always a good feeling to be helping my college and community,” said Haley Woodward, junior.

Groups were formed to undertake each task, and many of them were representatives of various teams across campus.

“I think it’s really cool seeing all the sports teams help out,” said Kenneth Lokie, junior. “We are the majority on campus anyway, and seeing all the teams put in some kind of effort to make the campus look better–it helps the image of the Athletic Department.”

Michael Hamm, junior, said he appreciated the idea that it brought people together for a common cause.

“It’s good to get closer with our teammates doing something good that’s not even practice related,” he said.

Some, like George Toliver, freshman, saw and end result beyond the forging of a cooperative spirit.

“It’s awesome because it shows that we are united as one, and we are all coming together for one common goal. It’s going to lead to success on the field for all of us,” he said.

Others indicated that this type of service will carry over into their lives past graduation.

“I feel like I am learning valuable life skills,” Austin Brigman, freshman, said.

All in all, students said they appreciated the experience while also crating something meaningful for the college.

“We’re vibing together and making a difference. It’s pretty cool,” Will Frick, freshman, said.