An Amiable Honor of Academic Achievement

Students receive Academic Awards
Students, faculty, staff, friends, and family alike gather as the academic awards ceremony is soon to begin.
Rose Weaver

For many students, faculty, staff, friends, and family members, Fri., April 5, marked a day both notable and to remembers folks congregated in Vaughn Chapel at 3 p.m. that afternoon.

President Mirta Martin gives the President’s Welcome speech at the beginning of the ceremony. (Rose Weaver)

And, although the service commenced with a prayer by Pastor Micheal Little, campus chaplain, this was not a church service.

It was the annual Academic Awards ceremony held on campus. 

Each year, a series of students, faculty, and staff are recognized for what is described as “exemplary character and academic achievement”, and almost 50 awards are presented to those deemed most worthy of its display.

Following Little’s prayer, Mirta Martin, president, offered a welcome, resembling the aura of the close-knit, family-like campus community that she strives to maintain at the college.

Martin also presented the President’s Cup. The award is meant to honor a student of exemplary character, academic and athletic achievement, and impact on campus. Breanna Weaver, senior, won the award with an extensive list of on-campus achievements detailed by Athletic Director Clieve Adams.

Over the course of the following hour-and-a-half, awards encompassing all areas of study, including business, health and human performance, science, psychology, sociology, and more were presented to the student by the program coordinators, the Board chairman, and other faculty and staff.

Following the Panther Singers’ performance of “Shenandoah”, each nominee was greeted center-stage with a personal hug from the president, a handshake and/or a hug from a professor in the field, and a plague and certificate enlisting their name, the award, and a brief description of the accomplishment.

Breanna Weaver, senior, accepts her award for the president’s cup. (Rose Weaver)

Examples of awards included the Outstanding Student in Spanish Award, granted to Dillon Ghosh, freshman, and Conner King, freshman, and the Teachers of Promise recognition earned by Sarah Crawford, senior.

The audience applaud and cheered as each Panther walked toward the front of the chapel, supporting one another as their own, and each student was met with the cameras of proud members of the Ferrum family.

Some students, like Scout Lynch, sophomore, won multiple awards across the afternoon for their extensive efforts and success throughout their academic career.

The event had a more personal meaning than just the award for some, too, as it represented just how far these students have come throughout their academic careers.

Lynch was even able to borrow the microphone to dedicate their achievements to their mother in a heart-touching monologue as all eyes were focused upon their presence on stage. They thanked their mom for bringing out the best in them and making them the person they are today.

All in all, the academic awards ceremony served as a platform to demonstrate the essence of the Panther Nation.

According to Faith Weaver, a local member of the community, the true nature of the family-like feel of Ferrum was embodied at the event. She attended to support a loved one to be recognized in the ceremony.

“I only came to support my sister,” she said, “But I could barely hear my own cheers for her over the crowd. I thought no one could be prouder of her than me, and yet, it was as if everyone was just as proud, and cared just as much as I did.”

Stone Gibbs, another local, agreed. He was also there to support a student in the ceremony.

Scout Lynch, sophomore, proudly accepts an award on stage. Lynch received two awards. (Stone Gibbs)

“I attend a much larger school, and I thought that we were close,” he stated. “But with Ferrum, the president was not joking when she called them a family. Everyone seemed so close, so happy, and so supportive.”

Interim Provost Delia Heck introduced special awards following the academic awards, which included a variety of recognitions toward commendable acts and characters, with foundations in assorted bases such as community service, personal impact, and above-and-beyond academic efforts.

Psychology Professor Abigail Jamison presented the Exemplary Faculty Award as a former winner herself and was followed by Martin’s expression of gratitude and two awards gifted by the Board of Trustees.

Heck concluded the ceremony with her closing remarks as the choir sang “The Lord Bless You and Keep You”.