Award-Winning
  • The Award-Winning Iron Blade--First-Place National Award for College Newspapers--The American Scholastic Press Association
57°
The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

Baseball goes 1- 3

Russell Golembe, junior, smashes a hit for the Panthers.
Gary Holden

Ferrum faced Southern Virginia on Aril 2.

In the bottom of the first Ferrum raced to the front with a 2-0 lead, with Bryce Thacker, senior and Shawn Baxter, junior, both hitting single RBI’s.

Following, in the fourth inning, Southern Virginia scored a run, then tied up the game in the fifth inning 2-2.

Matt Wright, sophomore, scored a two-run single that lead the Panthers back into the lead, 4-2.

The Knights then took the lead and never lost it on an RBI single and then a two-run homer to left field.

Southern Virginia added a run in the eighth and five more in the ninth inning, with an ending score of 11-4.

Ferrum then faced Roanoke on April 3.

In the top of the first inning, Ferrum scored 2 runs but Roanoke notched three, making the score 3-2, Roanoke.

Roanoke scored four runs in the fourth inning that pushed the lead to 8-2.

The Panthers scored two more runs in the fourth inning. Kyle Markowtiz, junior, came around to score on an error as would freshman, Slade Keyser with a final score of 17-7.

Lynchburg and Ferrum faced off on April 6 with a double-header game at home.

The Hornets scored the  first seven runs, getting two in the first inning, one in the second and fourth, and three more in the fifth.

Ben Thomas, senior,  hit and infield RBI single to drive in Ferrum’s only run of the game making the score 7-1 in the fifth inning.

The Hornets added two more runs in the seventh inning on a throwing error,  including four in the eighth, and one more in the ninth to pick up a 14-1 win for Lynchburg.

Game two started with three scoreless innings until Quinn Madden hit a three-run home run in the top of the fourth inning to put the Hornets ahead 3-0.

Ferrum came back in the fifth inning with their first run of the game on Davis Yeaman’s, senior, fielders choice, tying the score 3-3.

In just one inning later, a single up the middle brought Clayton Michael, senior, to score a go-ahead run.

Closing the game Matthew Shepard, senior, pitched three scoreless innings securing the win for the Panthers, 4-3.