Tennis Closes Spring Season

Gabriel Alavarez, sophomore, sends the ball to the opposing side of the court.
Staff Photo

The Panthers have fought hard as the spring 2024 tennis season is coming to an end, striving to close on a good note.

Sat. April 13, both teams were off, by road trip, to Virgina Beach to compete against Virgina Wesleyan.

While the experience was a great one, as shown by the many adventures, social media posts, and happy reports of the players, men’s and women’s tennis matched in scores, both falling short to a 0-9 loss.

However, men’s tennis took a turn for the better the following day, April 14, with a 6-3 win in Staunton against Mary Baldwin University.

There were two doubles wins, coming from Tripoom Jala, junior, and Kevin Nester, junior, and Gabriel Alavarez, sophomore, and Austin Brigman, freshman, with the same four winning their singles matches as well.

Women’s tennis tumbled just shy of redeeming themselves Tues., April 16 at Hollins University, landing in a 4-5 loss. Morgan Hundley, senior, and Mary Mason, senior, won their doubles match, as well as Olivia Turner, junior, and Emily Walker, junior.

Hundley and Hannah Huffman, sophomore, also conquered their opponents on the court in their singles’ matches.

As it was quite the busy week for the Panthers, the men’s team was right back at it on April 17 against Methodist, only to fall to a 2-7 loss in spite of their best efforts. Brigman and Will Davis, junior, took the only two wins in singles.

Men’s Tennis played Bridgewater on April 18 before the lady Panthers did on April 19.

For the men’s team, the long overdue rematch ended in a 2-7 defeat. The Jala-Nester duo claimed one dub in doubles, and Nester took a win in singles, too.

For the women, it was a 0-9 loss, though they fought hard against their opponents.