Monday Night Jam Goes Green

Earth Day celebrations planned
Earth Day Jam hosted at the BRIM from 3:00-8:30 p.m.
Courtesy of Chekka Lash

This afternoon and evening, the BRIM and Monday Night Jam are coming together for an Earth Day celebration.

The festivities today will be hosted at the Blue Ridge Museum and Institute with festivities starting at 3:00 p.m. and running until 8:30 p.m.

“I want people to come together, connect and feel empowered to take action, big or small, to create a more sustainable future for our community,” Biology Professor Chekka Lash said.

From 3-3:45 there will be a Writer’s Trail Walk with English Professor Allison Harl, with the ability to connect with nature and learn about the featured writers.

At 4 p.m. a wildflower walk will be led by Professor Emeritus Bob Pohlad for a guided walk to explore the array of wildflowers bursting into bloom.

5 p.m. holds the adventure lab demo walk with Lisa Workman.  The walk will explore modern-day treasure hunting and a guided instruction to geocaching.

After the walks on the trails, yoga with Lori Casey will be at 6 p.m.

And to end the night, from 7-8:30 p.m. will be the Jam and Fellowship.

“Earth Day fell on a Monday this year, and the Jam is every Monday, so this was a fun way to collaborate,” Lash said. “The Jam already brings people together, so it seemed like a natural fit.”

All of the walks will gather at the check-in table before starting.

Along with the walks and events, there will be free Homestead Creamery Ice Cream at the Environment Club check-in table, wool carding, children’s games and literature, Titmus Agriculture Center Plant Sale, and Ferrum Elementary fourth grade litter bugs.

Aladdin Food Services will be the sole vendor of prepared food.

Although the event is hosted at the BRIM, this has been a community collaboration.

“It’s more than just the Environment Science Faculty and BRIM staff planning this event. Ferrum Forward and the Jam have all been a part of this collaboration,” Lash said. “We think this is a great way for our community to come together and have a good time, ask questions, and find resources.”