Categories:

College Hosts Three New Radio Programs

Refentse Maselwa, senior, takes the microphone for her weekly radio show 'Ree's Radio Rhythm'.
Refentse Maselwa, senior, takes the microphone for her weekly radio show ‘Ree’s Radio Rhythm’.
Staff Photo
Refentse Maselwa, senior, goes live with her radio show ‘Ree’s Radio Rhythm’.

The college has a radio schedule consisting of three different shows. They are run by three students with their own shows at their own times and on their own days.

Kyle Markowitz, senior, has his show “The Panther’s Pulse” on Tuesdays from 1 p.m.-3 p.m.

During his time live, he wants to talk about news that’s going on at the college and inform people on what that is. He also wants to have a guest on his show to interview as well. On his first show on Tuesday, he most recently had Athletic Director Cleive Adams, former Head Foorball Coach.

“Coach Adams was a great guest to have. Being able to pick his brain about the future of athletics at Ferrum College and learn about his past was enjoyable,” said Markowitz.

Another show being broadcast is hosted by Refentse Maselwa, senior.

“It’s more like a music show, but I do some talking in between as well,” said Maselwa.

The show is called “Refentse’s Radio Rhythm” and airs on Thursdays from 2:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m.

Her show will consist of music of her choice. She said she likes to play a lot of soft pop.

Rounding out the list is Elijah Joyner, sophomore. His show, “The E Joyner Show”, runs Sundays from noon-2 p.m.

“It’s like a talk show,” Joyner said. “I will occasionally give advice and talk about sports news in Ferrum and around the U.S.”

Communication Professor Karl Roeper is the head of the radio station and schedules when the shows and hosts will be on live. The link to any one of the shows and the station is right here.

“Each of my students created their shows from scratch and made their own promo for it. You can hear it in the cafeteria. I love that we have students on board doing these shows, but I wish we had more representation,” said Roeper.