Categories:

Together Through Song

Monday Night Jams offer fun and fellowship
College students and staff join community members in a musical performance.
Kyle Markowitz

A rainy Monday night couldn’t dampen the spirits of those at the Blue Ridge Institute and Museum performing music for students, staff, faculty, and community.

Two circles of chairs filled the BRIM’s main lobby, with the inner circle occupied by the performers and those in attendance sat on the outside.

Stringed instruments such as the fiddle, the guitar, the cello, and others, came to life while the group sang together.

“Sometimes folks bring up a song that they are working on and want to try out,” Emily Blankenship Tucker said. “Other times, someone will request a song because they enjoy the way someone else sings or plays it, or because they are just in the mood to hear, play, or sing it.”

Blankenship-Tucker–Director of Appalachian Music,assistant professor of music and theatre, and program coordinator of performing arts–plays in the Monday Night Jams.

“I love getting to visit and play music with students and community members every week. I think our jam is a special event where, I hope, folks feel welcome,” Blankenship-Tucker said. “Some students attend the jam because they are encouraged to do so by Gateway or other classes. Sometimes they bring friends along. My hope is that they have a good time, enjoy the music, and feel welcome.”

The Monday Night Jam brings both new faces and similar returners.

“Working at the school, it’s beautiful to see so many students, faculty, staff and community members coming together like this,” Coordinator of Student Engagement Melanie Rooks said. “With this being my first time, I think it’s really beautiful to see the talent that’s all around us and have these moments to appreciate the hidden gems of Ferrum.”

With Monday Night Jams being around since the Fall of 2021, Bob Pohlad has been a regular to community events throughout the Village of Ferrum.

“These events mean a lot because we don’t have many places where the community gets together, and you get college and community together,” Pohlad said. “For me, it gives me the chance to see people I don’t normally see on an everyday basis. When they go around the room ,and everyone gives their choice of song, the beauty of that is you get to see in their eyes what they see as an important piece of music.”

Blankenship-Tucker said she always enjoys her time.

“Every week is different. You never know who will be present, and we often meet people at the jam who are just passing through, or who just heard about it and plan to come back,” Blankenship-Tucker said. “The music is different every week, and it’s great fun to hear everyone sing and play together.”

The importance of these events is something Blankenship-Tucker said keeps the spirit of community music-making alive and well.

“Ferrum is a wonderful community, and Ferrum College is such a diverse and special place,” Blankenship-Tucker said. “Appalachian music is also very diverse, and because our jams are all about playing together and supporting one another, I hope they will contribute to bringing folks together and building community.”

Monday Night Jams are hosted each Monday at 7 p.m.

If weather not is permitting, music is played inside the lobby of the BRIM, but if the weather is nice, the musicians will be set up under the Leo Scott Pavillion at the BRIM Farm.

“Events like these are what bring communities together, and it’s really special to be a part of it,” Pohlad said.