The junior class, left, faces the senior class in a Homecoming kick-off contest of tug-of-war.
Melanie Rooks

Homecoming Week Kicks Off

Categories:

It’s homecoming week, and the Block Party kicked everything off.

This took place on Mon., Oct. 14, as the first event of the homecoming festivities.

As students packed Swartz gym, Chris Ham who is a Ferrum Alum, also known as DJ Hammer, played music to get the party started.

“It feels good to be back; it’s homecoming, baby. WE LIT,” said Ham.

The event began with a welcome from President Mirta Martin and opening speeches from Head Football Coach Kevin Sherman as well as Athletic Director Clieve Adams.

“We got a big one this weekend, not only for football but for every sport competing. Let’s go out and handle business,” Adams said.

Soon after, the block party games began.

The first game of the night was musical chairs. Students from each class competed in several rounds until senior Trent Proctor took home the first victory.

“I may have cheated a little bit, but when you’re trying to win there are no rules. Especially when there’s $50 on the line,” said Proctor.

The next game to be played was Finish the Lyrics.

Students from each class let the DJ pick a song of his choice, and once the music stopped playing, they had to finish the lyrics. Senior Bri Bitz won it all.

“I just hoped he played songs that I actually knew, and luckily he did. Don’t judge my singing, I was just focused on getting the words right,” said Bitz.

The third game that was played during the night was Class Tug-of-War.

Five people were selected from each class to compete against one another for the title of the strongest class. In the championship round, the sophomore class faced the senior class in a close battle, but the sophomores ultimately roped in the win.

After the Tug-of-War was completed, the homecoming court was announced. The top three males and females from each class were introduced, and students were reminded that they still had one more day to vote for King and Queen.

Members of the court included: Heidi Crews, freshman; Jamari Jackson, freshman; Sasha Dukes, freshman; Keyshawn Muse, freshman; Sophia Peters, freshman; Mario Ruiz, freshman; Lexi Bennett, sophomore; Nathan Aguilar, sophomore; Paris Pannell, sophomore; Austin Brigman, sophomore; Sara Rah, sophomore; George Toliver, sophomore; Anna Blaine, junior; Trinity Curtis, junior; Kristian Barcroft, junior; Taylor Spicer, junior; Nicholas Simpkins, junior; Hannah Huffman, senior; DeShawn Hairston, senior; Thabelo Nemulodi, senior; Trent Proctor, senior; Makaila Veney, senior; and Trent Ray, senior.

The last and final game of the night was the Class Relay Race.

In this race, students had to roll a teammate down the court and back, then put the same teammate in a sack and do a sack race, while the other teammates emptied out a tissue box and cleaned a plate of whipped cream.

This was one of the more confusing games, as classes were struggling to finish the relay. However, the junior class found a way to secure the win.

“I don’t know how they got confused. Jill Adams literally was yelling the instructions as we were doing it. I’m not mad at it though, anything to get a win,” said junior Trey Reiter.

Finally, the football team encouraged everyone to come out to the football game on Saturday and then sang the Alma Mater to end the night.

This was just the first homecoming event this week. There will be more homecoming festivities this week, including a comedian, mega bingo, and a DJ Party Saturday night.

Donate to Iron Blade

Your donation will support the student journalists of Ferrum College. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.