#13 Marlins Post Softball Sweep Over Ferrum

Taylor Huck

Autumn Overfelt, senior, knocks the ball into the outfield.

Cody Gibson, Sports Editor

Women’s softball dropped an Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) softball doubleheader to Virginia Wesleyan University this afternoon at Tom and Betty Broyles Field. The Panthers fell 14-5 in the opener then lost 15-0 in the nightcap, both five-inning games.

The Panthers got on the scoreboard first with a run in the top of the first inning when Autumn Overfelt, senior, scored on a passed ball. Virginia Wesleyan scored four in the bottom of the first on Emma Adams’ grand slam. The Marlins added a run in the second, five in the third, and four in the fourth. The Panthers scratched out three runs in the fourth inning.

Key stats from game one Virginia Wesleyan: Laci Campbell 3-3, triple, 2 runs, 3 RBI; RP Adams (W, 6-3) 1.2 inn, 0 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Ferrum: Macey Moore, sophomore, 2-4; SP Wynema Thomas, freshman, (L, 1-3) 2.2 inn, 8 hits, 10 ER, 3 BB, 3 K

In game two the Marlins controlled the nightcap early, scoring three runs in the first inning, six in the second, and five in the third to grab an insurmountable 14-0 lead. Starter Laren Bible threw a complete five-inning no-hitter for Virginia Wesleyan.

Key stats for game two Virginia Wesleyan: SP Lauren Bible (W, 10-1) 5 inn, 0 hits, 0 runs, 4 K
Ferrum: SP Erin Nelson (L, 1-10) 1.2 inn, 6 hits, 4 ER, 3 BB

The Panthers return to action today, at home against #12 Randolph-Macon College. The ODAC doubleheader is scheduled for a 3:00 p.m. start at Vickie Van Kleeck Softball Complex.