Award-Winning
  • The Award-Winning Iron Blade--First-Place National Award for College Newspapers--The American Scholastic Press Association
70°
The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

Commentary: Swifting Away the Super Bowl

Pop star stole the show
Image used under the Fair Use provision of the U.S. Copyright code
A Facebook group was created to keep track of how many times Taylor Swift was shown during the Super Bowl.

Travis and Taylor–it’s the romance of the century, some may even say.

The pairing of the idolized American pop star, forever fangirled by the masses–Taylor Swift–and the known-by-most Kansas City Chiefs professional football star–Travis Kelce–have starstricken the United States in the mere six months of their relationship.

They were even one of the the highlights of the show in the most Americanized sporting tradition of all, the Super Bowl.

Throughout the night, Taylor countlessly made the nationally broadcasted screens of all, and the cameras followed Kelce’s position on the field. It was as if they appeared on film more than the game itself, as America’s favorite game fell short to America’s favorite couple.

“All eyes were on Taylor Swift at the Super Bowl,” quoted Yahoo News.

In a world of diehard Swifties, the extension of Taylor’s fame is a cause for celebration. For the loyal football fanatics, her placement in the sports setting is nothing less than atrocious. The controversy leaves the question: did Taylor Swift steal the show?

From any perspective, the most sensible answer is yes.

If the aesthetically-blown kisses from Taylor to Kelce taking the center of focus of every camera in the arena weren’t enough, the videos of her chugging beer on the jumbotron displayed across the scoreboard, humanizing Taylor as a traditional fun-loving fan swept social media instantaneously.

Footage of her fellow football fans for the evening, Lana Del Ray and Blake Lively, only increased the mass attention.

AThe crowd roared not only for the win of the Chiefs, but for the heartfelt hugs and kisses between Taylor and Kelce to celebrate the team’s accomplishment.

It is evident that Taylor was in the spotlight. However, in a further aspect, I would argue that she did not have the spotlight as a whole.

While yes, she did, indeed, reach the eyes of many, the Super Bowl has always been a game of football, and it always will be. Super Bowl parties contained football themed decor and delectable delights, media posts still highlighted the totality of the game, the plays, and the win of the Chiefs.

Taylor was not apparent at the half-time show, one of the biggest appeals of the game itself.

Moreover, I would also assert that Taylor’s attention in the big game was attention well deserved. Her legacy as an artist is one to which few can claim, with her hard work often concealed by the rigor of her accomplishments.

She deserves the fame and fandom.

Taylor’s appearance also offers a positive correlation to the 70% price increase and significant sale influx of Super Bowl tickets this year. The media emphasis was well-earned as Taylor cheered for her favorite football star.

Also, all things considered, Taylor’s contracted fame was a mere side effect of her appearance, which she could not control. If anyone deserved to view the big game first-hand, it was her, cheering on her man from the sidelines.  I mean, don’t we all deserve to support the ones we love?

All in all, it is undeniable the fame of Taylor that swifted away the Super Bowl, but in true Swiftie fashion nonetheless.

Her appearance only enhanced the show itself and perhaps served as a good luck charm as the Chiefs took the win in the final score of 22-25.