Women’s Field Hockey Opens The Season On The Road With a 1-3 Record

At right, Thabelo Nemulodi, junior, had a goal and an assist in the season opener against Southern Virginia.
Courtesy of Athletic Department

Women’s field hockey went on the road to kick off its season and currently holds a 1-3 record.

The team defeated Southern Virginia in the season opener on Sept. 2 and then lost to Meredith, Wittenberg, and Kenyon.

The Panthers opened the season by winning against the Southern Virginia Knights 4-1, with freshman Rylee Staples scoring her first-ever collegiate goal and the first goal of the season for the Panthers. Also contributing to this victory was junior Thabelo Nemulodi, with one goal and one assist.  Nemulodi’s goal gave the ladies a 2-0 lead going into halftime.

The second half of the game saw freshman Sarah Rah, who assisted Nemulodi in her goal, putting her own point onto the scoreboard and extending the lead. The fourth and final goal the Panthers claimed in this game was thanks to junior Riley Hines, who with an assist from Nemulodi was able to sink the shot into the net, creating a four to zero game.

The Knights’ only goal came after this at the hands of Ellie Egnew, preventing the Panthers from achieving a total shutout.

The Panthers totaled 23 shots during the game, with eight of those being toward the goal.

The ladies traveled to Raleigh to face their next opponent, Meredith College, but the Panthers were unable to overcome this foe and fell short in a 2-1 game.

Junior Olivia Turner gave the Panthers the lead during the second quarter with an assist from freshman Brynn Probert. It wasn’t until the fourth quarter that Meredith’s Charlotte Dyer sunk two shots, winning them the game.

The Panthers fought to keep their one point lead throughout the game with freshman goal keeper Maggie Cass recording 14 saves against the Angels. The team took nine shots over the course of this match, with eight of them on frame.

The next two games were held in Ohio, where the Panthers were unable to clinch a victory against both Wittenberg University and Kenyon College.

The Saturday game against Wittenberg saw the Panthers fall to the Tigers in a 4-0 game. Despite the defeat, Cass tallied 27 saves.

Sunday had the Panthers back out on the field battling with the Owls. They were unable to subdue the Owls during their meeting, receiving an eight to one loss.

The Panthers took five shots, with three of those on target, however, the only one that was able to hit its mark was sent into the net by Probert. Despite the Owls’ eight goals, the Panther defense was still contributing to the fight, with Cass saving 21 shots in the game.

The team’s next game will be at home in W.B. Adams Stadium on Sept. 16 at 4 p.m. against non-conference opponent Wilson College.