Calling Writers and Artists:

‘Chrysalis’ offers prizes for student works; submissions due by Feb. 12
    Submissions for this semesters Chrysalis are due by Feb. 12.
    Submissions for this semester’s Chrysalis are due by Feb. 12.
    File photo

The Chrysalis Art & Literary Magazine creates opportunities for students on campus to be creative and get paid for it.

Each semester, the magazine organizes a competition for students to submit their own creative works in categories including photography, prose, poetry, and art for a chance at a grand prize of $100 in each category with a second place prize of $50.

This semester is no different, and anyone interested in submitting needs to do so by Feb. 12.

Organizers say this competition creates a fun way to earn some cash but also to get work published for the world to see.

“The Chrysalis Art & Literary Magazine is a good place for new writers to get published. Many famous writers have first published in their college’s magazines,” said John Kitterman, faculty advisor for Chrysalis.

Participants get the chance to solidify their name and forever have a piece of themselves in the college’s memory with this publication.

“The Chrysalis is a great time capsule for Ferrum College. We have all these wonderful pieces of what’s going on in students’ minds at the time of the magazine’s release and that’ll be printed and remembered. It’s a great way to carve yourself into Ferrum history,” Editor Scout Lynch, sophomore, remarked.

On top of the magazine publication for this competition the Chrysalis also will be hosting a Valentines themed Coffeehouse and selling Valentines poems leading up to this event, students who wish to present at this event are encouraged to bring in writings and music that are in line with the theme of love.
    The coffeehouse is set for Tues., Feb. 13 in the Panther’s Den at 8 p.m.
    “We have many creative people on campus who submit to the magazine and also read and perform at coffeehouses. This is a Valentines-themed event, so we’re especially looking for writing and music about love,” stated Kitterman.
    Lynch hopes the allure of a contest will also entice some to submit.
    “Winning some money is not only fun, but you can say you’re a prize winning writer/photographer/artist,” Lynch said.
    Chrysalis staff members will be selling Valentines poems during the week of Feb. 5 in the Franklin Hall atrium at $1 for a premade poem and $3 for personalized messages.