Panther Wrestlers Win Medals at ODAC

Photo courtesy of Athletic Department

Braden Homsey, senior, brought home a championship for the Panthers.

The Panthers wrestling team competed Feb. 11 at the 2023 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Wrestling Championships, hosted by Shenandoah University at the James R. Wilkins Junior Athletics and Events Center. The Panthers placed fourth with two finalists, including champion Braden Homsey, senior.

Homsey went 2-0 on the day in the 197-pound weight class, posting an 18-1 technical fall win in the semifinals over Jaden Markus from Southern Virginia University. He then beat Ryan John Sedovy of Washington and Lee University 3-1 in the title match.

Also advancing to the finals was Rayshawn Dixon, junior, at 285 pounds. Dixon pinned Connor Bartlett of Shenandoah University at 1:59 in the quarterfinals, then eked out a 6-4 win over Averett University’s Jamar Christian in the semifinals. Dixon then lost 3-1 in the title match to Washington and Lee’s Matt Majoy on a last-second takedown.

A pair of Panthers also placed third: Levi Englman, senior (141); and Ethan Fragoso, junior (184). Fourth-place finishes were turned in by Adrian Samano, freshman (125); Christian Hite, graduate student (157); Elijah Martin, senior (165); and Mateo Villalobos, freshman (174); while Rubyn Semedo, freshman (133); and Jonathan Ward, junior (149); each finished sixth.

Coach Logan Meister’s team will be back on the mat tosday, Feb 19, at the Futures Championships, hosted by Roanoke College in Salem, VA.