Lions Come Out on Top

Taylor Huck

Sophomore Dawson Higgins puts one in across the plate.

Cody Gibson, Sports Editor

The Baseball Panthers dropped both ends of a non-conference doubleheader Feb 26. with Penn State-Harrisburg, losing 17-10 in the opener before falling 20-4 in the nightcap at Panther Field. The Panthers are now 3-5.

Penn State-Harrisburg scored nine runs in the first inning of the opener then tacked on four more in the second to grab a 13-0 lead. The Panthers got on the scoreboard in the bottom of the third inning when Tyson Measamer, senior infielder, ground out to first base and drove in a run. Grayson Chitwood’s, senior outfielder, sacrifice flew to center field and drove in another run to cut the lead to 13-2.

The Nittany Lions scored a run in the top of the fourth inning, one in the sixth, and one in the seventh to push the lead to 16-2 at the seventh inning stretch. The Panthers answered with three runs in the bottom of the seventh, including two on freshman pitcher Ethan Hensley’s  2-RBI single to right field.

The Nittany Lions added a run in the top of the eighth inning on Ryan Turner’s solo homer over the right field fence to make it a 17-5 game. The Panthers scored five runs in the bottom of the ninth inning on a Cannon Daub walk; an Elijah Silver, freshman first basemen, RBI single to left field; a Chitwood groundout; and a Kristian Barcroft, freshman infielder, 2-RBI single down the left field line.

The Nittany Lions opened the nightcap with another big first inning, scoring eight runs on three hits, three errors and a pair of hit batsmen. The Panthers got three runs in the bottom of the third inning on Chitwood’s RBI double to right center, a wild pitch, and a hit batsman. In the fourth inning, the Panthers picked up a run on a Brett Mason’s, freshman outfielder, RBI single. The Nittany Lions would score five runs in the seventh inning, three in the eighth, and three more in the ninth.