Award-Winning
  • The Award-Winning Iron Blade--First-Place National Award for College Newspapers--The American Scholastic Press Association
71°
The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

The Student News Site of Ferrum College

Iron Blade

Maroons Take Panthers in ODAC Wrestling

Dajah Berger
    Senior Rayshawn Dixon won at 285 pounds and improved to 24-0 this season.

The Panthers men’s wrestling team dropped an Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) dual meet to Roanoke College, fall 38-9 at the Cregger Center last Thursday.

The match started at the 141-pound weight class, and the Panthers proceeded to lose seven straight matches to open the dual and spot Roanoke a 34-0 lead.

Rayshawn Dixon, senior, ranked #7 nationally at 285 pounds by the National Wrestling Coaches Association, finally got the Panthers on the scoreboard, posting a 7-1 decision over Roanoke’s Brady Elswick. With the win, Dixon improved his individual record to a perfect 24-0.

Richard Albert, freshman, accepted a forfeit for the Panthers at 125 pounds to trim the score to 26-9. Adrian Samano, sophomore then bumped up to 133 pounds and dropped a 14-4 major decision to #13 Mac Cafurello, who also bumped up from 125 pounds.

Coach Logan Meister’s team will be back on the mat Thursday against Greensboro at home. The ODAC dual is set for a 7:00 p.m. start an is senior night.